Re: very slow USB security token access after switch from 2.6.13 to 4.4.52

Hi Greg,

thanks a lot for your reply! I've found the difference just yesterday,
it's not kernel problem after all, the reason it was much faster
under suse is  that there was public key caching mechanism which
I wasn't aware of..

(I had the same opensc  config, but cache needed to be created using
pkcs15-tool).

So now it's even faster under new OS :-)

> > we're migrating lots (thousands) of users from very old opensuse running
> > 2.6.13 kernel to new centos based system running 4.4.52 kernel.
>
> That's a huge jump :)

don't tell me about that, we had to deal with some really old hardware
as well :)

> > There are security tokens in use on desktops - Ikey 4000. They work,
> > but on new system initialisation of token and reading certificates is taking
> > very long, slowing firefox (and other pkcs11 users) start by ~20seconds. Since
> > users are running those token using apps very often, this is causing lots of hassle..
> >
> > The problem is, that token support is proprietary, I don't have any sources, just
> > those arcane opensc + openct binaries built for opensuse I'm forced to on new system
> > (therefore I'm also using 32bit firefox). Since the switch to new tokens with better
> > support is planned on next year, I'd really love to resolve this issue.
>
> So is it using libusb to talk to the device, or a kernel module?
>
> If libusb, you can use usbmon to see the data being sent to/from the
> device, to see where the stalls are, and hopefully compare the two
> systems to see what the difference is.

after all, I didn't need to use that, but it's  good to know..

> I don't know what ifdhandler is, but the usbdevfs calls are userspace
> calls to the usb device.
>
> > I know that I'm probably providing insufficient information here, but does
> > somebody have some Idea on what I should check or how to better debug this?
>
> Get the company you bought the device from to support it as you paid for
> it?  :)

devices were bought years ago and are unsupported unfortunately..

but it's solved after all.

anyways, thanks once more for your time, I really appreciate it

bye

nik

--
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH