Re: Seagate External SMR drive USB resets (XHCI transfer error, not timeout)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Jérôme Carretero wrote:

> > Here's the error:
> >
> > b5251480 0.505661 S Bo:6:008:2 -115 196608 = 540a2813 1a33dd99
> > ab76840c bf72fc6b 60f9fcaf 4d61822c c007ff4e ab72d022 b5251480
> > 0.506280 C Bo:6:008:2 -71 86016 >
>
> Out of curiosity, which tool produced this condensed output?

I wrote a program for myself to translate pcap files into usbmon's text
format.  I find that format a lot easier to read than trying to deal
with wireshark's "one packet at a time" approach.

> > This means the kernel tried to write 196608 bytes to the drive.  After
> > 86016 had been transferred, the drive did not reply correctly to the
> > next output transaction, causing the kernel to perform a reset.
> > That's what happened, according to the viewpoint of the xhci-hcd
> > driver.
> >
> > In theory it's possible that the drive did respond correctly and the
> > information get messed up on the USB cable or on the computer's end.
>
> Wow, that sucks.
> I had a mental image where the transactions used FEC and it would be
> obviously possible to differentiate between cable/hub/endpoint errors.

I don't see how FEC could help in a situation where a device sends a
properly formatted message and then some component closer to the kernel
improperly rejects it.

Alan Stern