Re: how to instrument/debug module loading

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 08:20:09AM -0400, Cliff Brake wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to better understand the kernel module loading mechanism
>> (for example when you plug in a USB device and a kernel module
>> autoloads).  It appears that depmod creates a module.alias map that
>> maps USB info to modules.  Is there any way to instrument or observe
>> the actual loading process?
>
> Why do you need to "observe" it?  You can always use kprobes or some
> tracing tool to see the filesystem accesses if you really care about
> this.
>
> But it should all "just work", right?  Is something failing for you?

Its working great -- more just a point of curiosity -- would like to
understand what user-space tool is actually getting called to do the
module loading.  Especially since the /sbin/hotplug location/mechanism
seems to have changed -- seems we should get some of the documentation
updated (unless I'm missing something).  Thanks for the kprobes idea
-- will look into that and kernel source ...

(BTW, this curiosity was motivated by a Eudyptula Challenge exercise)

Thanks,
Cliff