Re: USB mouse

Folks at Plugable: FYI, the email thread, if you are interested.
Neither your USB3 hub nor anybody else's works with a fairly
recent Linux kernel. Given that I have used two different hubs
with the same result, I am a bit surprised this has not surfaced
before. Anyway:

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2017, Bruce Korb wrote:
>
>> > This raises some questions:
>> >
>> >         Can you eliminate the switch entirely as the cause?

Yes. I bypassed the switch and have the problem.
Further, I can say that the problem is the USB 3.0 hub driver logic.
By plugging the hub/switch combo into a USB 2.0 port, it all works.
By plugging the hub directly into a USB 3.0 port, the keyboard
works but the mouse does not. So, it is definitely a USB 3.0 hub/
driver interaction that is causing the mouse to not work.
And, no, I do not have a USB 2.0 hub. (A USB 1.1, if I haven't thrown
it out, but I think I did.)

> Or buggy firmware.  Or a bug in the kernel driver.
>
>> >        What
>> >         happens if you plug the mouse into the USB-3 hub and plug the
>> >         hub directly into the computer (bypass the switch)?

Answered above: with or without the switch, the behavior is the same.

> No, you can't do it using only the computer, no matter what operating
> system or software you run.  The computer can only tell you what data
> it gets over the wire; it can't tell you what's happening in the
> stretch of wire between the hub and the mouse.  For that you need a USB
> bus analyzer.

Unless someone loans me one, I have none.

Regards, Bruce