symbol DS6708 - problems under new kernels

Hi fellow linux USB users and developers,

we've spent lots of time trying to resolve issue with very little
progress so I'd like to try asking for help here..

we're migrating big amount of users from SUSE running i386 2.6.13
kernel to x86_64 centos-based system running x86_64 4.4.x kernel
(tried 4.13 as well).

many machines are deployed with symbol (zebra?) DS6708 barcode readers
and after machine boot, it is often not working, either not lit at
all, or not scanning correctly. Unplugging/plugging the reader solves
the issue. (machines are various types of Lenovo desktops)

Our guess is it has something to do with power, as using the ammeter
it seems that when the device is not working, it just takes very little
current, so maybe it just doesn't "tell" the bus to increase voltage
at start?

A colleague has developped solution to fix on ehci-hcd managed ports
using unbind/bind of the particular device, so we can "fix" it automatically
on boot. However it doesn't work/help on other USB buses, ie uhci-hcd
or xhci-hcd (this is on new models and was not been used on SUSE at all)

Sometimes reloading usb module helps, but sometimes not.

My question is, did somebody have/solve similar issue? Is there a way
to decrease/increase power in generic way, so I can subsctitute device
unplug/plug? Or maybe some even better any better way I could use to
solve this issue? There are hundreds of those readers in production,
so replacing them is a problem..

If I can provide any further information, please feel free to ask

thanks a lot in advance!

BR

nik

--