System freezes when using Dell Precision 5520 with Dell WD15 Dock and Ethernet

Hello Guys,

I have Dell Precision 5520 connected to Dell WD15 with USB-C. The
following hardware is connected to WD15:
- Dell U3011 2560x1600 Display
- Logitech K290 USB Keyboard
- Ethernet Cable connected directly to a modem/router from my ISP (250
Mbit/s down, 20 Mbit/s up).

Now when I boot Ubuntu 17.04 with mainline kernel 4.13 (the one
released about week ago) or with kernel 4.12.11 and the WD15 is
plugged in from the beginning, I almost always get a total system
freeze short after logging into the desktop session. I narrowed it
down to possibly Ethernet-over-USB problem, because the freeze always
happens before establishing the ethernet connection (as shown by the
connection icon in the top status bar), after the external display is
up and displaying desktop properly.

Now, when I log into the desktop session with no WD15 dock connected,
and I connect it later, everything works fine, no freezes, only
occasional mouse hiccups (short move freezes) when Ethernet
connectivity is established. Interestingely, my mouse is plugged
directly into the laptop USB - it is a wireless Logitech mouse with
nano-receiver. Not sure if the "hiccup" is just mouse, or system wide
temporary lockup / overload. I don't observe such mouse hiccups later,
even on a CPU loaded system.

The freeze is not happening when doing sleep / resume.

Also Ethernet support through the dock seems to be very unstable
particularly on 4.13.x series of kernels. Many times I lost connection
totally in the middle of teleconference and could not reestablish it -
it looked like the whole NetworkManager locked up and couldn't even be
restarted; and the system froze on shutdown when I tried to reboot it.

Can you help me debug this? What information / files should I send to
you to make it easy to fix? (I'm a programmer, although never did
anything with the kernel).

The issue remains for a very long time now. I've been observing these
freezes since kernel 4.10, there also have been a few kernels in 4.11
series when I thought the issue was fixed, but it turned out the
recent kernels still have this problem. It is quite annoying because
whenever I need to reboot, I have to remember to plug the dock out.

Thanks,
Piotr Kołaczkowski