uvc-gadget for UVC testing doesn't seem to work with vivid

Let me apologize for emailing directly to the list as I'm not one of
the developers and just starting out with USB and UVC. After searching
online for about a week I just couldn't find answers and I hope the
original authors of the uvc-gadget tool are on the list and can help
out.

Needed to test a UVC in a custom built kernel (Xilinx petalinux), .
Followed these directions,
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ef954844c7ace62f773f4f23e28d2d915adc419f/Documentation/usb/gadget-testing.txt#L717-L730.

Patches didn't work. Had to look around for correct ones. Found them
here, http://markmail.org/message/hb7evzvigbuxptz5#query:+page:1+mid:s73fdeffjgb2v2yw+state:results.

Combined and applied the patches into a repo here,
https://github.com/cyboflash/uvc-gadget.git.

When I ran a test command, given in the instructions above,
uvc-gadget -u /dev/video<uvc video node #> -v /dev/video<vivid video node #>

got the following error:
V4L2_CORE: (jpeg decoder) error while decoding frame

and a black screen.

One thing to note is that I was not using luvcview, but guvcview.

It looks like the error is coming from here,
https://sourceforge.net/p/guvcview/git-master/ci/master/tree/gview_v4l2core/jpeg_decoder.c#l1503

My thoughts
1. I don't think the error is coming from v4l2. I tested it on another
machine and it worked. But I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure.
2. I don't think the error is coming from UVC. I think since I see a
black screen, it is working. Again, I'm not an expert, so I can't say
for sure.
3. I think the error is due to uvc-gadget test application. It could
be that the applied patches are outdated, but I just didn't find
anything else online. But, I'm not an expert so definitely can't say
for sure.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this as I'm just starting out
with UVC and USB.

--

*ESENCIA TECHNOLOGIES, INC.*3945 Freedom Circle, Suite #360,
Santa Clara CA 95054