Re: Kernel USB Driver Bug Report: USB keyboard stops working for a while after clicking the power button on Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 05:14:16PM +0200, Gia Thuan Lam wrote:
> To honorable kernel developers,
>
> I am writing to report a kernel bug I have with my USB keyboard. I am
> using Linux kernel 4.10.0-29-generic, but this problem exists in older
> kernels as well at least since kernel 4.10.0-26. I am using Ubuntu
> Gnome 17.04.

Does a "modern" kernel work better?  4.10 is kind of old and we can'd do
anything about distro-specific kernels, sorry.  Have you filed a bug
with your distro and had them look at this?

> After closing the lid, I click the power button to turn the screen on,
> but the USB keyboard suddenly stops working. I have two keyboards, one
> is built in my laptop (working normally) Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series
> and a mechanical keyboard connected by USB port (this is the one not
> working). The latter stops working for a long time. When I try to
> unplug and plug in again, it also takes longer than usual to work.
>
> Reproduction method: Turn off the screen (close the lid, click the
> power button...) then turn on by clicking the power button.
>
> Consequence: The keyboard connected by USB will not work while the
> mouse is still working.
>
> This is the first time I am reporting a bug, if you need any more
> information. Please just tell me.

Kernel log messages would be great to have, that might show the problem.
You can get that by running 'dmesg' from a command line.

thanks,

greg k-h