Re: Two regressions on BYT/T ASUS T100TA 4.12-rc: #2 Keyboard no longer works

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Right, so this is not really a problem with this specific patch, but
> with how the hid_have_special_driver array works in general currently it
> has very few #if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_FOO) guards around all the devices it
> blacklists the generic HID driver for.

This is something I've been wanting to fix for ages, but never really got
to it. So let's take this as the final impulse to do it.

> I think this is on purpose to stop things becoming one big #ifdef party,
> but as you rightfully say this means that people may end up with not
> having a driver at all.

Yeah, ifdef-hell is currently hardly avoidable, but I don't really see too
many better options, at least as a short-term solution. I'll come up with
something and send it out ASAP for 4.12-rc still.

Longer-term, we'd ideally make 'generic' driver special and let it attach
as a 'last resort driver' if none of the specific driver picked the device
up during probe. But I don't think our current driver model allows this
easily ... or is there way I am not seeing?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs