Re: Please Add A Quectel EC25-E Device To A Proper Driver

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 03:16:25PM +0100, T A F Thorne wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I am seeing a message in my syslog that instructs me to "Tell
> Linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to add your device to a proper driver.".  This
> is me delivering the message as instructed.
>
> I have just plugged in a Quectel EC25-E LTE Module, mounted on a
> Micro-PCIe to USB adaptor board.  Broadly speaking this is very similar
> to the Quectel UC20 module, that I think is already supported.

> Previously I thought I had got the driver to come up after creating a
> modified options module that added details of the modules vendor and
> device IDs, then run `modprobe option vendor=0x2c7c product=0x0125`.
> However this now seems to fail, possibly because I do not have the
> modified kernel and module installed right now.  Error from that step is
> as follows:

> Currently I am running an Ubuntu 16.04 distribution with the kernel
> details being:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux thorne-ul-dt 4.4.0-72-generic #93-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 31 14:07:41
> UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Judging from the product name and ids you provide above, this modem
should already be supported by the option driver since v4.11 and support
has also been backported to the stable trees (e.g. 4.4.58).

So simply updating your kernel should do the trick here.

Johan