Re: Blackberry regression

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:36:41PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> You've got so many variables here, it's hard to keep things straight:
>
> 	Distribution (Etch vs. Lenny),
>
> 	Kernel (2.6.28.4 vs. 2.6.28.7),
>
> 	Environment (bare vs. VM),
>
> 	Compiler (4.1.2 vs. 4.3.2).
>
> Maybe other things as well.  The cardinal rule of debugging is to vary
> only one ingredient at a time.

Well, it's only confusing because I gave so much detail of my test
environment, in case others wanted to reproduce it.  I'm fairly confident
that anyone who runs Debian Lenny with 2.6.28.4 in a VM will see this
issue, but that is yet unconfirmed.

The only thing changing in my tests is the kernel inside the VM.
The bug may or may not be in the kernel, but it's the kernel that's
tickling the behaviour for me.

> If you can do a head-to-head comparison in which the only variation is
> in userspace (compiler and/or distribution), then looking at the usbmon
> logs can help.  If you vary either the kernel or the environment, then
> everything else must remain unchanged if you want a meaningful result.

So far, I can't tickle the bug reliably with a userspace change, although
tests seem to indicate that userspace matters in reproducing it.

I guess it depends on your perspective.  You can reproduce the bug on
Debian Lenny by changing the kernel, or you can reproduce the bug on
2.6.28.4 by changing the distro. :-)

I'll keep testing.  It may even be a bug in libusb on Lenny.

- Chris