hiddev device location

According to file
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/hid/hiddev.txt, hiddev devices
are always named /dev/usb/hiddevN (where n = 0..15).

However, searching the web I see statements that the hiddev device files
might be located in any of several distribution dependent directories,
and code that looks in multiple directories.

Which is correct?   I suspect that for recent kernels/distributions the
device file location is fixed, but that variation existed in the past.
If so, can I assume that the variability is ancient history that can
safely be ignored?

I ask because I'm currently cleaning up the API and command line syntax
for  ddcutil (http://www.ddcutil.com), and it would be simpler, and for
the command line entail less typing, to pass an integer device number
than a device name string.

Thank you.

Sanford Rockowitz