Re: Tool to enable USB power management

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > > I may have one.  I'll try to test it in the next day or two.
> >
> > Okay, what I've got is really a PS/2 mouse (non-optical) hooked up
> > through a USB-PS/2 converter.  Regardless, it _does_ do remote wakeup
> > when the mouse is moved.
>
> What happens with an optical PS2 mouse?

I don't have one, but I tried an optical Logitech trackball.  This
device has a USB connector, but it was plugged into a little USB-PS/2
converter thingy.  As I understand it, the trackball recognizes the
signals coming out of the converter and switches over to normal
PS/2-type serial data, sent via the USB pins.

At any rate, the trackball did do remote wakeup when I moved the ball
or clicked buttons.  It was peculiar, though.  Sometimes I had to move
the ball a couple of times before it would wake up.  Even the response
to the buttons was strange, although it was more predictable.  Clicking
or double-clicking a button would not cause a wakeup.  Two clicks with
a longer delay in between would work, though.

The behavior was more or less the same even when I plugged the
trackball's USB connector directly into the computer's USB port.  It
would be nice to have a way of directly measuring the current flow, but
I don't want to start cutting open cables to do it.  So there's no way
to tell whether the device really was drawing <= 0.5 mA while it was
suspended.

Given all the oddities we have seen, I'm starting to think there's no
such thing as "typical" keyboard or mouse behavior when it comes to
remote wakeup...

Alan Stern