Re: Periodic reconnects of USB mouse on Dell PowerEdge R730

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Paul Menzel wrote:

> Dear Greg,
>

> On 02/08/17 14:02, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 12:16:44PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
>
> >> On the server Dell PowerEdge R730 with firmware 2.3.4, and Linux 4.9.2, the
> >> connected USB mouse disconnects and connects again periodically. This can be
> >> reproduced with two different (Logitech) mice.
> >>
> >> ```
> >> $ more /proc/version
> >> Linux version 4.9.0-1-amd64 (debian-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version
> >> 6.3.0 20161229 (Debian 6.3.0-2) ) #1 SMP Debian 4.9.2-2 (2017-01-12)
> >> $ journalctl -o short-precise -k -f
> >> […]
> >> Feb 08 12:00:16.193817 poweredger730 kernel: usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device
> >> number 84
> >
> > Looks like a hardware issue, the kernel can not cause a device to
> > disconnect itself.
> >
> > Especially as this happens with two different mice, you might want to
> > see if there's something wrong with that port.
>
> With three devices of the Logitech model 046d:c077 (Logitech, Inc. M105
> Optical Mouse) the problem could be reproduced on each USB port.
>
> I am unable to reproduce it with 03f0:2c24 (Hewlett-Packard Logitech
> M-UAL-96 Mouse).

That would seem to indicate there's a hardware or firmware problem in
the Logitech mice.  No?

> My guess is, that this points to a firmware problem, where the USB ports
> are badly configured, and don’t meet all specifications?
>
> Is there a way to get logs for that, to “proof” to the Dell support,
> that the firmware is at fault and to avoid the usual dance, where they
> say, the Linux kernel version is not supported, and you should try it on
> Microsoft Windows and so on?

It is possible to get hardware logs if you have a USB bus analyzer.

However, Dell support probably doesn't care what logs or proof you send
them.  They will only care if you can show that things don't work under
Windows.

Alan Stern