Re: USB SUBSYSTEM - drivers/usb/core/config.c

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017, John Skelton wrote:

> > What happens after that?  Does the cdc-acm driver refuse to bind?  Any
> > other types of error/warning messages?
>
> Along the lines of:
> usb 2-1.2: >new low-speed USB device number 95 using ehci_hcd
> usb 2-1.2: >device descriptor read/64, error -32
> usb 2-1.2: >config 1 interface 1 altsetting 0 endpoint 0x1 is Bulk; changing to Interrupt
> usb 2-1.2: >config 1 interface 1 altsetting 0 endpoint 0x81 is Bulk; changing to Interrupt
> usb 2-1.2: >New USB device found, idVendor=16d0, idProduct=087e
> usb 2-1.2: >New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 2-1.2: >Product: Digispark Serial
> usb 2-1.2: >Manufacturer: digistump.com
> cdc_acm 2-1.2:1.0: >ttyACM0: USB ACM device
>
> But screen /dev/ttyACM0 (with or without a "baud" rate) just hangs.

Have you tried using minicom instead of screen?

Do any other messages show up in the kernel log?

What does /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices say?

Can you collect a usbmon trace?

In theory, this should work.  Especially since the port you're
connecting to is hooked up to an EHCI controller and not an xHCI
controller.

> > Doing this type of thing really isn't a good idea for the obvious reason
> > that hubs might just die a horrible death.  Who knows what a USB 3
> > controller would do with a low speed device like this as well (hubs are
> > crazy complex, and low speed makes them really sad.)
>
> Ah.  Maybe it's my laptop's internal hub that hangs.  Though the other USB
> ports carry on working.

That is unlikely.  Treating a bulk interrupt as an interrupt endpoint
makes very little difference (mostly it just affects the throughput,
but a low-speed connection wouldn't be expected to have high throughput
anyway).

Alan Stern