Re: USB SUBSYSTEM - drivers/usb/core/config.c

> From: "Greg KH" <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 05:51:05PM +0100, John Skelton wrote:
> > Apologies if this ought to have gone to the USB maintainer (but his
> > auto-reply implies not).
>
> This is the correct place.

Thanks.

> > I'm particularly interested in drivers/usb/core/config.c
> > which appears to enforce the USB specification by refusing to allow a
> > low speed CDC ACM.  (Comment "Some buggy low-speed devices ...", at
> > about line 300.)
> >
> > However, such devices exist and some are potentially quite useful (such
> > as Arduinos & digistump).  Various people have posted about not being
> > able to use them with Linux and I think the above file is the reason
> > (another well known OS family allows them).
> As Felipe points out, this is to try to help some obviously broken
> devices to work properly.  We could take that code out and even more
> devices would stop working, but I think people would be upset at that :)
>
> What device out there that is so obviously incorrect that still doesn't
> work even with the workaround that that the kernel is trying to do?

The code I stumbled on (trying to find a useful debug mechanism, really)
is at http://www.recursion.jp/prose/avrcdc/cdc-232.html

I'm open to any suggestions.  As I see it the above code is probably wrong
in trying to use a low speed Bulk endpoint.  The low performance of cheap
Arduinos and digistump etc (with no hardware USB) is not going to allow
anything but low speed (via software), however.

John