Deterministic Char. Device Detection

Hi,

I have some usb-to-serial devices, and each can be set with jumpers
so that if an 's' was sent to the device, an expected feedback would be
'S0', 'S1', 'S2', 'S3',  as a way to identify the device to the system.

Currently, each device is detected by the system in the order that they
are plugged, having minor id 188, and minor 0..4 etc....

I would like to know if it is possible to modify the ftdi driver, or
usb-serial driver,
so that when a device is plugged it, it is assigned with a minor number
of the device id, instead of sequential minor id.

For example:

Device      Software_ID             Major, Minor Number
ttyUSB0    S0                           188,0
ttyUSB1    S1                           188,1
ttyUSB2    S2                           188,2
ttyUSB3    S3                           188,3

I realize that forcing usb-serial enumeration to be based on software
identication can create more protential problems, and conflicts with
USB portable (plug n play) design.
Since our system will aways have four devices, we always address by software
id, USB conflicting is not an issue on here.

Thank you.