Re: ch341

>> I attach the tty's with GNU screen (but I have also tried microcom
>> and minicom with the same results).  This was my first experience
>> with or even awareness of ch341. I have much more experience with
>> pl2303 and somewhat less with ftdi.  With these ch341, when I type in
>> an 'a' on one terminal, I get 0x01 out the other terminal.  If I type
>> in a 'b', I get an 0x02, etc, on up to 'z' yielding 0x1a.
>>
>> I found your name/contact in the git commits.
>>
>> Any idea what is going on?

Johan> Sounds like it could be related to an incorrect line setting
Johan> (e.g. the devices are using 5-bit words). Some changes just went
Johan> in that add support for changing this. Could you try building a
Johan> kernel based on the usb-next branch of:

Johan> 	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/johan/usb-serial.git

Johan> and see if that works better?

I built usb-next (3c3dd1e) and saw the same behavior.  Loopback
(connecting RX and TX) worked on pl2303-based usb-serial adapter (with
PC levels, not TTL), and did not ('a' -> 0x01, 'b' -> 0x02, etc) with
ch341-based usb-serial adapter (again with PC levels, measured MIN/MAX
voltages with a DVM and saw, about -7V/+7V).

I still suspect shoddy hardware.  It would be nice to hear someone else
with the ch341-based hardware to say it works for them.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx