Re: Writing a Brand New Driver

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 02:13:03PM -0500, Brian Chrzanowski wrote:
> Hi linux-usb,
>
> Quite simply, I would like to get into kernel development. I figured that I
> could jumpstart this by writing a driver for this device:
>
> http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-gamecube-adapter/115426
>
> A while ago I figured that I could potentially work through this userland
> driver I found: https://github.com/ToadKing/wii-u-gc-adapter and I could
> maybe work out a kernel space driver for it.
>
> I started by reading LDD3, specifically the introduction sections and the
> usb section, and I think I understand how to work out the basics of the USB
> interation parts, but what steps specifically should I take to go from this
> userspace driver into a kernel driver? What Documentation should I read, etc.

If you know the basics of how the USB device works by reading the
userspace code, create a framework of a USB driver, use the device id of
your device, and add in the logic to talk to the device there.

Then, and this is going to be the harder part, you have to tie it into
the input subsystem, so that might take a bit more work to translate the
device's commands to the correct input layer calls.

Good luck!

greg k-h