ehci at full speed only

Hi
I am running ehci on a mx31 ads high speed port. There is no uhci or ohci enabled. Some of our boards have problems running at high speed. These boards, when made to operate at full speed by using a 1.1 external hub, work fine. Since, the only use of the usb port is to transfer a maximum of 4 MB of data, our needs would be met with full speed itself.
The glue for ehci has been provided by freescale in their BSP.

Can anyone suggest a way whereby i can configure devices to run only at full speed, even if they are high speed devices. By googling, i found that this can by done by sysfs interface, by writing the port number in a companion file. But, CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT is enabled and so the companion file is not created.By looking at code, I think companion file will get created if i disable this option. But will this work, as there is no uhci or ohci? What exactly are companion controllers.

Is there a way i can make changes in ehci itself so that it will work only in full speed or low speed mode. Please help.