[OT?] Success story

Hi list,
always, on ml, I read for the users problems but rarely for success
story so now I'm here for write one!

Some time ago my customer ask me for a "system" that simple "print" with
printers, after an external command, with different printers and, last
but not the least, without common problems that the common Proprietary
OS has (who say BSOD? ;) )

After some ideas and tests, with lead to choose a little commercial
embedded pc with reduced resources, and, of course Linux!
All the printers are connected with one single usb plug and 5 hubs,
where there are also the connection with the acquisition board that see
witch button are pressed and to the connected print on a specific
printer. (Hope that I explain correctly it!)

Like now the pc are working on production with.... 24 *different* usb
printers connected that simultaneously (more or less)!

Some technical info:
processor: 800MHz
memory: 512MB
storage: 1GB flash-ide
distro: debian lenny (kernel 2.6.24)

Problems seen:
There was some problems that I met with the usblp driver for some
specific printers, like the unique "backend" name for some Brother (if I
remember correctly). The backend assign a unique name for a printer
(like usb://Brother HL 2030) and if there are two printers with the same
model connected, they cannot be distinguished and only the first respond
at the backend.
Other was that some other printers "block" the usb, so no other devices
can communicate after a print and the only solution found was to "reset" usb
(remove the usb modules, like usblp, usbcore, etc...) and re-probe them.

However the problems were so less that the benefits, so... good work!
From my point of view usb (and usblp) in the linux kernel are the right
choice for make a "printing machine"!

Michele