usb stuff breaks after unplugging usb audio dongle

So, I have a USB audio dongle (currently using ohci, but the same would
probably happen with ehci), and if I stupidly decide to unplug it while
I'm streaming audio (alsa) to it, mplayer (for example) first
freezes ... and if I quit mplayer immediately, things are fine ... but
if I try to continue playing (by unpausing/seeking), mplayer goes into
an infinite loop of errors trying to write to the (alsa?) audio device,
but more importantly, my kernel's (4.8.6) entire usb system seems to
break ... I can't even properly load my ehci_pci kernel drivers (it is
actually able to load them, but they can't be unloaded... they seem to
get immediately hung too... even though the dongle was using ohci at the
time) ... my alsa sound is also broken/hung so I no longer get
audio ... I'm forced to reboot (and even here it can't power off, I
have to force it with the PrtSc buttons).