Re: [RFC] pass sg lists to HCDs if supported

Alan Stern wrote:
 >>> The code that takes care of setting up the transfer buffer addresses
>>> should be split out and EXPORTed, because any HCD that supports sg will
>>> want to use it.
>> I'm not sure what code you're referring to?
>
> I'm talking about all this stuff, which (rightly) got left out of
> usb_sg_init_with_sg():
>
> 		/*
> 		 * Some systems need to revert to PIO when DMA is temporarily
> 		 * unavailable.  For their sakes, both transfer_buffer and
> 		 * transfer_dma are set when possible.  However this can only
> 		 * work on systems without:
> [...]
> Ah, but you're forgetting the possibile cases in which the controller
> doesn't support DMA.

I don't think it's useful to speculate on possible hardware.  If
hardware like this is produced then we can revisit this.

For now, I would say that any HCD claiming sg-list support must always
support DMA.

It is unfortunate that neither myself nor Sarah can talk about the
specifics of the hardware where this sg list support is useful.

David
--
David Vrabel, Senior Software Engineer, Drivers
CSR, Churchill House, Cambridge Business Park,  Tel: +44 (0)1223 692562