Re: Some basic questions

Hi Sri,

UMG (or whatever company that UMG buys the USB 3.0 IP from) will need to create
a peripheral controller driver.  I've attached a recent driver for the Intel
Poulsbo MID PCD so you can see what such a driver might look like.  I think a
USB 3.0 PCD will be somewhat similar, but may need some additions for USB 3.0.
Your PCD would be platform-specific, but we would still want the driver in the
mainline Linux kernel.

Most of the companies I have talked to who are developing USB 3.0 devices are
developing UASP devices.  Some of them want to use the Linux gadget framework
on the device side, and some simply want host-side support for UASP devices.

Sarah Sharp

   Hi Sarah,

               Ive been following the ongoing thread on USB3 gadget
   drivers and had a basic question:

   Can the Peripheral Controller Driver be checked into the Linux tree
   because it would seem that it would be platform dependent because there
   is no standard USB3 device architecture like we have xHCI for hosts.
   How is this partition handled currently in the USB2 Gadget API
   framework?

   I presume apart from the PCD the main component that most that most
   folks will be interested in developing is the Mass Storage Gadget with
   the UASP extensions.

   Ps let me know

   Thanks

   Sri