Re: Bug 153551: Kernel panic on Nexus 5X USB unplug while tethering

On 08/23/2016 01:57 AM, Oliver Neukum wrote:
On Mon, 2016-08-22 at 17:21 -0600, Jose Marino wrote:
I'm using my phone (Nexus 5X running Android) to tether a USB connection
to my laptop (XPS 15 9550). I plug the phone through the USB-C
connection and in the phone I  select USB tethering. Initially things
look normal: a usb0 network interface appears in the laptop and it tries
to get an IP with dhcp. However, I observe two different behaviors
depending on whether it's a fresh boot, or I have suspend/resumed the
laptop. In a fresh boot everything works fine, I get an IP and the
connection works as expected. If I unplug the phone, everything also
works as expected.

However, after a suspend/resume cycle, I plug the phone in but the
laptop never connects to it. The usb0 interface still appears, but the
dhcp daemon is unable to get any response and finally times out. The fun
part happens when I unplug the phone. I consistently get a kernel panic.

The HC has crashed thoroughly. Do other devices work after S3?

Everything works fine after S3. I regularly use a usb-c ethernet adapter and even though it's a bit flaky, I suspend/resume regularly without any kernel panics or oopses. About the phone, the kernel panic only happens when I enable tethering on the phone. Anything else seems to work fine: plug in to charge, download pictures or access its file system.

	Regards
		Oliver