Re: Gadgetfs - adding support for delegation of setup requests

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016, Binyamin Sharet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using GadgetFs for USB host fuzzing (using umap2),
> and part of the fuzzing session is to send invalid descriptors at
> various stages.
>
> However, some requests are not delegated to user-land (see gadgetfs_setup()
> in gadget/legacy/inode.c),
> Specifically - GET_DESCRIPTOR (device/configuration) and SET_CONFIGURATION.
>
> Does a patch to switch the gadgetfs module to "delegate all" sounds reasonable?
> If so - what's the preferred way to do it? I have a few options in mind:

Why do you need to delegate Get-Descriptor?  The contents of the
response are entirely dictated by the descriptors provided by the user
program in the first place.

Set-Configuration _is_ delegated to the user program, although the
program is not allowed to fail the request.  Is that what you want to
do?

> - module parameter
> - write some command to the ep0 file
> - send an ioctl to the ep0 file
>
> Any other suggestion?

I suspect this sort of thing would not be accepted.  If Felipe agrees,
you might as well just keep your changes out-of-tree.

Alan Stern