creating a virtual usb device from user-space

Hi

We are working on a project where a user-space application (a device
emulator) creates a USB device on the host machine (thus allowing the
emulated device to emulate a USB slave and to act as a usb dongle on the
host machine).
We have done this using usbip so far, but we'd rather do it directly:
for that envision to have a vhci_hcd kernel module driver, with hooks to
the user-space to set-up the device & handle the data.
How would that fit within the current usb work in the linux kernel?
We can work on this as an independent project, but would want it to be
integrated to the main linux development at one point if it is possible.
I have noticed that, in the file vhci_hcd.c from drivers/usb/usbip,
there is this comment:

*      - move the emulation code to userland ?
*             porting to other operating system
*             minimize kernel code

Would that correspond to our intent? What is the planned time frame for
this (depending on the answers, we will go ahead with our development,
or wait).

Are there any links with the (not very active) development done for
https://sourceforge.net/p/usb-vhci/wiki/Home/
?

thanks for your input,

stephane bryant