Re: Fwd: USB HID problem

Hi Alan,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Given the repeatability, maybe I can dig into where stuff is going awry.
>> Maybe I can trace down how the bogus speed information is derived.
>
> If my guess was correct, there is no bogus speed information.

OK.

>> I do not believe "Link Power Management" is enabled, but don't know
>> exactly how to tell, either.  It would not be terribly hard to make xhci_hcd
>> more noisy.
>
> LPM is enabled by default.  You can turn it off in later kernels by
> adding a quirk entry, but I believe 4.1 doesn't include the LPM quirk.

Nope.  Looked for it.

> editing the usb_device_supports_lpm() routine in
> drivers/usb/core/hub.c.  Make it return 0 immediately.  That will be an
> easy way to tell whether my guess was right.

I've disabled it now and rebuilt the kernel.  Yesterday was a
replace-the-kitchen-faucet day, so I will be trying out the new
usbcore module later today.  I didn't vanish :)  I'd do it now, but
I'm in class:

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/creating-painterly-photographs-kathleen-clemons