Re: USB Question

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:29:25PM +0530, Madhukar G wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to linux kernel development. To understand better i had taken
> USB stack as sample. I would like to know which part of USB core
> determines whether a mass storage device or HID device is attached. I
> have fair knowledge of USB 2.0 specs.
>
> I had chance to look at hub.c file located in core. In this file there
> is a routine hub_events() which sends a series of hub requests and
> finds out which device is plugged in. But i could not find out which
> descriptors will determine the type of device attached. Can any one
> help me in this regard.

The core doesn't know much.  The drivers are responsible for knowing what
devices they support.  The core calls the loaded drivers' probe() routines,
and those probe routines are responsible for either claiming the device or
refusing it.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What, are you one of those Microsoft-bashing Linux freaks?
					-- Customer to Greg
User Friendly, 2/10/1999