Re: Multiple chatty devices on Intel 5 Series/3400 USB2 EHCI controller act erratic

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016, Sean M. Pappalardo wrote:

> On 06/10/2016 11:06 AM, Alan Stern wrote:
> > Have you tried plugging the audio
> > devices into a USB-2 hub and plugging the hub into bus 2?
>
> That works!! (I forgot, my monitor has a built-in 2-port USB2.0 hub.)

Great!

> So what's going on here? How does adding another hub layer help??

I have no clue.  The idea was suggested by the fact that your devices
worked okay when plugged into the docking station, which has its own
hub.

The only thing I can think of is that your monitor's hub must be
different in some way from the hub that is built into the motherboard
(the one that shows up as Bus 02 Port 1 Dev 2 in your lsusb -t
listings).  But I've never heard of anyone having problems with those
on-board hubs before, and I don't know why it would behave differently
under Linux vs. Windows.

Alan Stern