Re: question on trust in chaoskey

Oliver Neukum <oneukum@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been going through the drivers with an eye on security.
> And a question arose. How do we know that a device that claims
> to be a chaoskey is really a chaoskey?

A fine question, and one we've thought about extensively.

The Chaoskey device explicitly does not address physical
attacks. Assuming physical security makes things a lot easier, and one
of the simplifications is that we can assume that any physical device
connected to the machine which has the right USB IDs will be the correct
device. I have taken the trouble to register a "real" USB ID for this
device, so in theory, we shouldn't ever see an accidental collision.

--
-keith