Re: Downloading tracks from gps via usb

On Wed, 11 May 2016, Stephen Furner wrote:

> When using Gebabbel to download tracks from a Garmin GPSMAP96 I am
> receiving the error message:
>
> "The original error message reported by gpsbabel was: Claim interfaced
> failed: could not claim interface 0: Operation not permitted"

Depending on how the device permissions are set up, you may need to run
the program as root.  Or change the permissions.

> My OS is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS running on a Samsung N150 plus.

What version of the kernel does that use?

> The GPS shows that it is connected to the PC and recognises it has a
> network connection.
>
> Any ideas about what might be the cause and what needs to done to
> download the track data from the GPS?

It's hard to tell.  To get some more information (as root):

	mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
	cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices

Or just copy the file directly into an email message.

Alan Stern