Re: Problems with MCS7715 USB-attached parallel port

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 06:11:51PM -0600, Alex Henrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought an MCS7715 USB-attached parallel port,[1] but there
> seem to be a couple of problems using it with Linux:
>
> 1. The lp, parport, and parport_pc kernel modules are not loaded when
> the device is plugged in.
> 2. After manually loading the kernel modules, /dev/lp0 is not deleted
> when the device is unplugged.
>
> I'm using a fully updated copy of Arch Linux, and at first I thought
> it was a udev rules problem, but the systemd guys think that it's
> actually a kernel bug.[2] Is this something that you could fix, or
> guide me thorough fixing? I'd be happy to donate one of these devices
> if you don't have one handy for debugging.

Ah, yeah, this isn't going to work well, as you have found out.

The parallel port subsystem is one of the last ones to be moved to the
driver core, it just now started for the 4.4 kernel release, and isn't
done yet at all.

Sudip is the new maintainer of this, he might be able to answer this
much better than I can.  Sudip?