Re: dwc3 initiated xhci probe problem in arm64 4.4 kernel due to DMA setup

Hi David,

David Fisher <david.fisher1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> dwc3 is in dual-role, with "synopsys,dwc3" specified in DT.
>
> When xhci is probed, initiated from dwc3/host.c (not DT), we get :
> xhci-hcd: probe of xhci-hcd.7.auto failed with error -5
> This -EIO error originated from inside dma_set_mask() down in include/asm-generic/dma-mapping-common.h
>
> If "generic-xhci" is specified in DT instead, it probes fine as a
> host-only dwc3

if you specify it in DT, you force DT to set dma_mask for you, so that's
just masking the real problem.

> The difference between DT initiated probe and dwc3 initiated probe is
> that when DT initiated probe gets to dma_supported, dma_supported is
> implemented by swiotlb_dma_supported (previously set up by a DT call
> to arch_dma_setup_ops).  Whereas when dwc3 initiated xhci probe gets
> to dma_supported, arch_dma_setup_ops has not been called and
> dma_supported is only implemented by __dummy_dma_supported, returning
> 0.

that's probably a regression caused by the commit you list below. Arnd ?

> Bisecting finds the "bad" commit as
> 1dccb598df549d892b6450c261da54cdd7af44b4  (inbetween 4.4-rc1 and 4.4-rc2)
> --- a/arch/arm64/include/asm/dma-mapping.h
> --- a/arch/arm64/mm/dma-mapping.c
>
> Previous to this commit, dma_ops = &swiotlb_dma_ops was done in
> arm64_dma_init
>
> After this commit, the assignment is only done in arch_dma_setup_ops.
>
> We're not using any dwc3-<glue>.c wrapper here, but we've not needed
> it before this commit. Relevant ?

shouldn't be, no. It should work fine either way.

> It might also be possible that we've messed up some KConfig that
> changed between versions ?

unlikely, imo.

> Or is this a bug that needs patching - in arm(64) dma or something
> different for dma setup in dwc3/host.c ?

I'd assume it's a bug with arm64 since we have this working fine on
arm32 and x86. Let's wait to hear from Arnd.

--
balbi