Re: PROBLEM: Mouse connected to USB-3 stopped working 2.6.38->39 regression

Alan Stern <stern@...> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2016, Sam Sany wrote:
>
> > Alan Stern <stern <at> ...> writes:
> >

> > > On Sat, 9 Apr 2016, Sam Sany wrote:
> >
> > > --- usb-3.15.orig/drivers/usb/core/hub.c
> > > +++ usb-3.15/drivers/usb/core/hub.c
> > *usb_hub_to_struct_hub(st
> > >
> > >  static int usb_device_supports_lpm(struct usb_device *udev)
> > >  {
> > > +	return 0;
> > > +
> > >  	/* USB 2.1 (and greater) devices indicate LPM support through
> > >  	 * their USB 2.0 Extended Capabilities BOS descriptor.
> > >  	 */
> >
> > Last stupid question... what do I do with the patch? Do I add it to a
> > particular file or just copy and paste the text to a terminal? Sorry, I
know
> > I'm embarrassingly uneducated in these respects...
>
> A patch describes a series of changes to an existing file.  This one
> describes adding two lines: one that says "return 0;" and one that is
> blank.
>
> Normally people apply a patch using the "patch" program or a
> source-code manager such as Git.  But you don't have to do that in this
> case because the patch is so simple -- you can apply it by hand.  Just
> edit the drivers/usb/core/hub.c file in the kernel source and add that
> "return 0;" line at the start of the usb_device_supports_lpm()
> function, before you build the kernel.
>
> > And one last question... I don't know too much C, but there is a
missing
> > closing bracket at the end, right? On the line after the "return 0"
statement?

> No, there isn't.  The closing brace is lower down, beyond the end of
> the patch.
>
> Alan Stern

Thank you so much, Allen.  I will add this and recompile tonight.  I really
appreciate your help and patience.  I'm not much of a programmer, but I
have been an advocate of FOSS software for close to a decade now.  I've
just been super bummed for the last month that I couldn't get my new
recording hardware to work with on my computer, and all my friends are just
telling me to start using Windows.  If this works, I have yet another
anecdote to provide them regarding the power of the open-source community's
helpfulness and persistance :) take care of yourself, hopefully I will post
good news later tonight or tomorrow!