Re: some questions about PM enable with usb driver

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016, yoma sophian wrote:

> hi Alan:
> > On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, yoma sophian wrote:
> >
> >> BTW, when I disable BH support in hcd driver.
> >> I get below recursion of spin lock sometimes.
> >> Did I missing anything once disable BH?
> >
> > Yes, you missed a very important fact: ehci-hcd _requires_ BH support!
> if so, why we still keep below part of code that will never run under
> BH enabled.
>
>         if (!hcd_giveback_urb_in_bh(hcd) && !is_root_hub(urb->dev)) {
>                 __usb_hcd_giveback_urb(urb);
>                 return;
>         }

Where is that code?  Not anywhere in ehci-*.c.  Are you talking about
drivers/usb/core/hcd.c?  That file interacts with other drivers besides
ehci-hcd, and many of those other drivers do not have BH support.

However, it's true that ehci-hcd does contain some code that will never
get used with BH givebacks enabled.  I haven't tried to remove this
code because it doesn't create any problems (although perhaps I
should).

Alan Stern