system awareness of endpoints

Oliver wrote:
> The firmware uploader may need to do a reset though.

Lars wrote
> Your device should do a reset after firmware is uploaded and it should
> also change its usb id to reflect that it does not have the same
> function(s) as before. The kernel will see the disappearance and
> reappearance of the device on the same host port and will rescan the
> device descriptors.

Okay. This is what I was looking for. The question being: Does the system
forever look at the original device descriptors or are there standard stock
ways for the system to update these descriptors. The answer being: Yes,
there are standard stock ways for the system to update these descriptors.
The problem being: Changing the descriptors will be a real bother. On the
other hand there are all sorts of nice things that could be done with 16
enpoints to play around with.

Bruce