system awareness of endpoints

Hello All

  I'm new to libusb (and programming usb) so am not clear on
a host of things but am making lots of progress.

In an email to libusb I wrote:

I'm trying to get a debug endpoint on the open firmware for
an atheros usb wifi stick (ar9271) with a fusb200 controller.
All the bits and pieces are in place, with nothing working
but with indications that things are happening. What I am
concerned about is the error message for something like:

    err = libusb_bulk_transfer(usb_handle, .....

with:

     bulk transfer in failed: LIBUSB_ERROR_IO

Is it failing because my code currently is a
mess (hopefully) or because from reading the device
descriptors ( Unfortunatelly residing in ROM and
unchangeable) it already knows (in this case ) that there
are only 6 endpoints, even though on the stick booting I
have added another 2 functional endpoints?

and libusb wrote back

If you can not change the USB Descriptors
then the newly added endpoints will not be functional.

So I am writing here because I am guessing what I have to to
occurs at a lower level than libusb.

I believe I can change the Device descriptors in firmware,
upload the new firmware and reboot the stick but wouldn't
the usb subsystem have the old device descriptor from the
previous hotplug/system boot? If so then somehow I need to
to tell the usb subsystem to re-request the device
descriptor. kernel calls are okay. Any thoughts?

Bruce