Re: Unable to enumerate USB Device, error -110 Kernel 3.19-0.49-lowlatency netboot

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Devon Ash wrote:

> I'm unable to use 8 of the 10 USB devices I have on a motherboard. Two
> USB 3.0 ports work, and all of the devices, if plugged into a hub, can
> be recognized and used if plugged through those 2 ports. However, the
> other ports are completely unresponsive.

If they are completely unresponsive, why do you get the -110 errors?  I
would expect you wouldn't get anything at all.

> Thoughts/Ideas? The broken drivers are ehci-pci. xhci-hcd works on the
> usb 3.0 ports, but for 2 other usb 3.0 ports it does not work.
>
>  The machine is being netbooted and running kernel 3.19-49-lowlatency
> (i've tried with generic as well). This same identical setup running
> off of a hard disk boot does not have this problem for any USB ports.
> Im lead to believe there may be a bug in the ehci-pci driver while
> using netboot.

What type of motherboard or system is this?

Can you try using a more up-to-date kernel, such as 4.4?

Failing that, can you at least provide a usbmon trace showing what
happens when you plug a device into one of the bad ports?  And also a
dmesg log with USB debugging enabled?

Alan Stern