Re: usb: musb: tx fifo flush warning

On 2016-03-03, Bin Liu <b-liu@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Using next-20160302 I can very reliably hit this warning on an AM335x
>> BeagleBone by playing a short audio file over USB-Audio:
>>
>> $ aplay -Dplughw:1,0 -r 44100 -c 2 -f S16_LE /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
>>
>> $ aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 1: Audio [USB Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>
>> The audio file is part of the alsa-utils package. The USB-Audio
>> device is never disconnected. Simply playing the file triggers the
>> warning. Any hints/suggestions how I should debug this?
>
> In general, it seems this tx fifo flush error has been there for
> years, it happens when tearing down an active endpoint in some unknown
> conditions. But I haven't seen a such case in which musb stops
> working.

Actually, I am tracking down an issue where musb _does_ stop
working. With the above "aplay" example, I can reproduce a hang with the
musb on v3.19 and v4.0. Sometimes it takes up to an hour to reproduce
the hang, so I am slowly moving to newer kernels to see how far I can
reproduce the hang. I have not been able to reproduce a hang with
next-20160302 (yet?), but I do get your warning and the backtrace looks
very similar to what I see in the hang situation on the older kernel
versions.

> In this case, does musb still work or is audio playback broken after
> the warning message?

In this (next-20160302) case musb does continue to work. In my debugging
of the older kernels I can perfectly identify when the situation for a
potential hang happens. Most of the time it does not hang there, but
100% of the hangs were in that exact situation. So I suspect a race
condition exists there.

> Does the issue happen in any previous kernel? Trying to think if there
> is any regression in next-20160302...

I will continue trying to reproduce the hang with newer kernels. I
haven't tried anything between v4.0 and next-20160302 yet. I will post
again when I have more data.

John Ogness