Re: Support for Magellan Triton 300 GPS?

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:37:07AM -0500, Anne Archibald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently received a Magellan Triton 300 GPS unit. This is a handheld
> GPS unit which supports a USB connection to a PC. It reports itself as
> vendor 120f and product 5260. Is there any support, experimental or
> otherwise, for this unit? If not, is it likely to be difficult to add?
>
> On the unit side, when I plug it in to a USB port, it offers me four
> options for connecting: "Connect to PC", "Power only", "NMEA - USB",
> and "NMEA - Serial". "Power only" appears to be just what it says,
> "NMEA - Serial" looks like it's sending serial-port data down the USB
> cable, and "Connect to PC" causes the unit to hang waiting for some
> kind of response, so I assume that "NMEA - USB" is the mode to use.

I would recommend trying out the "- serial" option, as that should
probably work a bit better.

> However, this mode (or any other) does not appear to trigger the

That is because we don't have specific support for this device in Linux
yet :(

> When I try to modprobe usbserial vendor=120f product=5260, nothing
> appears to happen differently (that is, no extra messages appear in
> dmesg when I plug the device in, and no /dev/ttyUSB0 appears).

That's wierd, are you sure?  You should at least get something as the
driver should bind to the device and at least attempt to talk to it.

Can you provide the full 'dmesg' output from when you load the usbserial
module this way and then plug the device in?

thanks,

greg k-h