usb_bulk_msg

Just an update on our problem.

1.) Thanks for your answers. They helped me a lot.

2.) We now changed the interface between the backplane hardware (EZ USB
Controller) and Linux PC in a way, that each time no data is available on the
backplane anymore, the backplane sends zero length packets. This way the
usb_bulk_msg function never gets into timeout. I tested this a lot and I am
quiet sure, that our problem is solved now and no data gets lost anymore.

We implemented it this way, because I got a hint from an Windows USB developer,
that aborting an USB transfer due to an timeout is not a good idea, because the
host controller operates on DMA accessible memory. He said, that this is the
standard way USB transfers are cancelled in Windows. It works fine with Linux,
too.

This solution is OK for us. I realy did not find any problem in the way we
implemented the interface before. The only difference is, that the usb_bulk_msg
function does not get into a timeout anymore. As most of you said, this should
not be a problem, but in my application it is.

Can it be that there still is a problem in the Linux USB implementation when
aborting transfers due to a timeout of the usb_bulk_msg function?