Re: UAS errors with ASM1053 - 4.3.3

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016, Calum Mackay wrote:

> I'm getting UAS errors using a USB 3.0 SATA enclosure (StarTech
> S3510BMU33ET; 174c:55aa)
>
> This appears to have an ASM1053 chipset which, as far as my reading of
> uas_use_uas_driver() goes, should have a working UAS providing we
> restrict the size of the transfer?
>
> i.e. MaxPower is 36, and MaxStreams is 16, which should imply ASM1053,
> with working UAS, but with US_FL_MAX_SECTORS_240.
>

> That should be done for us, according to the code, but just to be sure,
> as I'm using the Debian (unstable) kernel 4.3.3, I added the
> US_FL_MAX_SECTORS_240 quirk myself:
>
> getz $ grep usb-storage /etc/modprobe.d/uas-blacklist.conf
> options usb-storage quirks=174c:55aa:g
>
> [but is that still used if UAS is active? I get no "Quirks match"
> message for 'g', unlike I do for UAS disable 'u']

usb-storage prints that message but uas doesn't.  It probably should.

While uas ignores most of the possible quirk settings, it does pay
attention to the MAX_SECTORS_240 flag.

> With that 'g' in place, I get reams of UAS errors/resets, and the device
> is unusable.
>
> If I change the quirk to 'u', to disable UAS:
>
> options usb-storage quirks=174c:55aa:u
>
> then things work, but the performance is dire (e.g. 8MB/s writes).

Even with USB-2 (High Speed) you should get 30 MB/s or more.  Clearly
something else is wrong.  You should collect a usbmon trace (see
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).  Start with debugging usb-storage and
work your way up to uas.

> Should this particular device be working? It doesn't seem to, so should
> the detection logic in uas_use_uas_driver() be disabling UAS for my device?

It probably should work.  I don't know anything about that particular
device, however.

> Or am I missing something?
>
> The disk in the enclosure is a WD30EZRX (WD Green 3TB)

Alan Stern