Re: LogiLink USB SATA HDD 2x docking station

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016, pkix wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have Logilink USB SATA HDD docking station with two slots:
> http://www.logilink.com/Quickport_USB_30_for_two_2_5_Zoll_plus_3_5_Zoll_SATA.htm
>
> The problem is that Linux detects only one of the disks inserted.
> Disk in slot B gets detected only when the disk from slot A is removed.

> The issue is Linux specific, because the same machine when booted in
> Windows 7
> detects both disks without installing any vendor drivers:
> http://imgur.com/Fakviqk
>
> Any ideas?
> Could it be that Linux does not detect the second storage device
> because LogiLink provides the same SerialNumber for both disks?

No, that's not the reason.  The kernel pretty much ignores the serial
numbers.

To get more information, try collecting a usbmon trace showing what
happens when the docking station is attached with both disks present
(see Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt for instructions).

Alan Stern