Overriding U3 CD-ROM sr driver with sd driver to enable write access

Good morning,

For some time, I've tried to figure out how to treat the virtual
CD-ROM on a U3 drive as a direct-access device (SCSI type 0) instead
of a read-only direct-access device (SCSI cd-rom, type 5) so that
users can overwrite the data in that area and use as they wish.  There
is quite a bit of discussion on the web about this device however most
centers around removing the "partition" or hiding it in Linux (the
autorun and .exe on the CD-ROM are for Windows only).

I've posted my analysis to date at
http://chicago-ediscovery.com/computer-forensic-howtos/forensic-acquisition-analysis-u3-usb-drive.html
which is focused on the forensics side.  There is a U3 removal utility
as well as a program (Universal Customizer) that will overwrite the
iso9660 filesystem (in Windows) using a .dll supplied by the U3 group
(u3dapi10.dll).  However, I would like to be able to accomplish this
in Linux using standard utilities.

I've looked into udev rules but I cannot find a way to change the
device driver.  Also, I tried the sg3_utils but sg_dd on the generic
device fails (device not ready (w)) as it still just sees a read-only
CD-ROM.  Does anyone have advise on how to change the device driver
for the endpoint from "sr" to "sd"?  Is there a better work around?
Thank you.

Andrew Hoog
Chicago Electronic Discovery
http://chicago-ediscovery.com/