Re: Question about bug lp:311481

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 01:53:19PM -0500, Martin Owens wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We've been tracking a really odd problem with fxload with regards to
> been going on for many ubuntu releases and seems to effect many other
> reported bugs; so during this break we had a bit of an investigation to
> see if we can get it solved once and for all.
>
> At first we thought it was a problem with fxload, it seemed to be trying
> to use /proc/bus/usb/ even though it's deprecated and no longer
> installed.

/proc/bus/usb/ is only "deprecated" by your distro, odds are you still
mount usbfs somewhere else, right?

And, if you just tweak fxload to use libusb, you should be fine, as it
always knows where the distro mounted usbfs, right?

> Turns out that fxload was just taking the location from udev in a
> environment variable $DEVICE; investigation in that code then pointed
> back to the kernel it's self:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/311481
>
> We've reached the limits on the kind of investigation we can do on this
> problem. Although I know that it seems to effect fedora users just as
> much as ubuntu users. The problem is that the "solution" that's being
> propagated is to install the proc/bus/usb support package. So the
> problem "goes away" and no one is filling proper bugs.

What is wrong with that as a solution if it solves the problem?

> But I'd like to see if the problem can be fixed totally. I've made a
> modified version of fxload which uses $DEVNAME (which points to the
> right place) so people with the midisport problem can fix it in a less
> bass-ackwards way. Let me know if there's anything that can be fixed, or
> if $DEVICE is deprecated too.

$DEVICE is not deprecated, it just needs to point to the place where
usbfs is mounted, which again, seems to be distro specific these days.

thanks,

greg k-h