Re: The upload speed problem about the modem

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 04:12:35PM +0800, fangxiaozhi 00110321 wrote:

> Dear Greg:
>
> I have the upload speed problems about the data card modem.
>
> For the data card modem we used, it can support the upload speed up to
> 5.76Mbps and download speed up to 7.2Mbps on the Windows OS.
>
> And on the Linux OS, such as OpenSuse or Debian, we load the kernel
> usb serial driver "option.c" for the modem, and  we can get the
> download speed up to 7.2Mbps.
> But no matter what we do, the upload speed will still be 1.5Mbps, but
> not 5.76Mbps. And I don't know why it is 1.5Mbps, but not 5.76.
>
> Can you help me to find what results in this?

It is because no one ever actually tried to make it faster.  I recently
added a patch to my queue to be included in 2.6.29 to do just this, it
can be found at:
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-04-usb/usb-option-increase-outgoing-buffer-size-and-number.patch

If you could try that out and let me know if you can reach the maximum
speed of your device, I would appreciate it.

thanks,

greg k-h