Re: Media Transfer Protocol -> Kernel Space implementation

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 04:59:04PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:21:37 -0800, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > I would like to see the kernel manage connecting to the device,
> > > exporting the device file hierarchy as a mountable file system, then use
> > > a nice sanitized API through which user space can poll and talk to mtp
> > > devices asynchronously.
> >
> > You can do this today with fuse in userspace, right?  Why not do that
> > instead, it makes more sense than putting a new filesystem in the
> > kernel.
>
> How does that make "more sense"? FUSE is only there to divorce us
> from "Intellectal Property" issues. If MTP is not encumbered, there's
> no reason to push it out to the cold. None that I can see anyway,
> maybe you know of some?

I wasn't thinking of any IP issues, just the fact that a simple fuse
userspace program, using libusb, could mediate all userspace requests
for access to MTP "files" easier than a in-kernel driver.

For some reason, I thought this is how GNOME handled these kinds of
devices already.

thanks,

greg k-h