Re: USB TrackPoint mouse non-functional with dock; works if direct

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 11:04:00AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, Josh Triplett wrote:
>
> > > You're looking at the wrong files.  The files to monitor are the ones
> > > in /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-3/2-3.1/2-3.1.2/power
> > > (assuming that this device really is the mouse and not something else).
> > > Handy shortcut link: /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-3.1.2/power.
> >
> > Based on the idVendor and idProduct in that directory, that device is
> > the keyboard/mouse combo device, yes.
> >
> > That power directory has many more files, but nothing obvious:
> > ==> /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-3/2-3.1/2-3.1.2/power/control <==
> > on
>
> That's the important one.  It means the mouse isn't going to be
> autosuspended.

So it doesn't matter that the other sysfs directory (the one listed by
dmesg for the mouse input device, containing the :1.1) showed up with
autosuspend enabled and the device suspending after a moment, roughly
matching the "works for a second and then stops" behavior?  That seems
entirely too coincidental.

What do that other sysfs directory's properties mean, if not the actual
suspend state of the device?

> > > For more information on what's happening, try collecting a usbmon trace
> > > for bus 2 (see Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).
> >
> > Done.  I started a trace, plugged in the device, moved the mouse a
> > little (which moved the pointer for a moment and then stopped
> > producing any result), typed a couple of keys (which did work), moved
> > the mouse a bit more (which didn't), and unplugged the device.
> >
> > Trace attached.
>
> Well, the trace shows the mouse being plugged in and enumerated.  Then
> it shows the pointer being moved for about half a second, and a couple
> of keys typed.  2.7 seconds later, it shows the device died and the
> port was disconnected -- I assume that's when you unplugged the mouse.
>
> During that 2.7-second interval, the usbmon trace shows nothing at all.
> No activity from the mouse (although it appears to have been
> communicating okay because the computer polled it at 8-ms intervals and
> didn't get any errors).  And in particular, no suspends.

I moved the mouse again during that interval, but the cursor did not
respond.

> It looks like there's something funny going on between the dock and the
> mouse.  For instance, maybe the dock doesn't provide quite enough
> power.

This is just a keyboard/mouse; it doesn't draw significant power from
the port, and doesn't require a powered port.

>  Or maybe the dock's internal hub doesn't work quite right.

> It's also possible that something strange happened in the xHCI host
> controller, but that seems less likely.  You could test it by
> removing the dock and then connecting the mouse to the computer by way
> of a USB-2.0 hub.

If it makes any difference, the dock has both USB 2 and USB 3 ports; I
observe the same behavior in both.

Would a USB 2 A-to-A extension cable, without the USB 3 pins, suffice
for such testing?  I have one of those.

> I don't have any other good suggestions for further debugging.  You did
> check the kernel log to see if anything unusual showed up, right?

Yes, and nothing did.  dmesg shows the input devices showing up, but no
USB-related messages after that.

> About the only thing I can think of at this point is to use a USB
> analyzer between the dock and the mouse.

Not something I have handy.

- Josh Triplett