Re: reading data at 500Hz

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 01:50:37PM +0000, Jose Colmenares wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well the amount of data is very small, about 16 floats plus a header in the message. Lets round it up to 128 bytes. That means 128000 bytes per second for a 1000Hz frequency (which the device can give). 128000 bytes per second is a lot less than the 480 Mbps that USB 2 gives. That's what's killing me. That in theory I should be able to do it, but the data arrives in bursts.

USB data comes in "bursts", sending small packets of data is just about
the worst thing you can do on USB, sorry.

You are also trying to abuse the cdc-acm driver for something it was not
designed to do, why not use libusb and drive your device from userspace
directly to get the data as fast as possible and avoid the tty layer
(which isn't causing you problems, but would be good to get out of the
way...)

You can see the data on the "wire" as far as the kernel thinks it is
coming in if you use usbmon, theres's documentation for it in the
Documentation/usb/ directory of the kernel.  That might help you see how
bad your device really is in sending data at the rates you are expecting
:)

thanks,

greg k-h